UMONS was created in 2009 by merging of the Universite Mons-Hanaut (UMH) and the Faculte Polytechnique de Mons (FPMs). The latter is a Belgian Institute of Engineering located in Mons, Belgium. The SET/FPMs (Service d’Electromagnetisme et de Tйlecommunications) department has more than 30 years of accumulated expertise in the fields of optical fiber transmission and of telecommunication systems. Research activities cover fundamental studies, but also metrology of advanced telecom devices, fiber lasers and amplifiers, optical signal processing, sensing and biosensing.
Website – http://portail.umons.ac.be/FR/universite/facultes/fpms/recherche/GR_SER/SERV_ELEC_TELECOM
Research Area 1 – New Laser Technology
Contact person – Andrei FOTIADI, Andrei.Fotiadi@umons.ac.be
Research Area 2 – Sensing
Contact person – Marc WUILPART, Marc.Wuilpart@umons.ac.be
Research Area 3 – Biomedical Photonics
Contact person – Christophe CAUCHETEUR, Christophe.Caucheteur@umons.ac.be
Publications of interest
- A. Fotiadi, O. Antipov, M. Kuznetsov, and P.Mйgret, “Refractive index changes in rare earth-doped optical fibers and their applications in all-fiber coherent beam combining,” in Coherent Laser Beam Combining, A. Brignon, ed. (John Wiley & Sons, 2013), chap. 7, pp. 193–230.
- V.V. Spirin, P. Mégret, and A.A. Fotiadi, ‘Passively Stabilized Doubly Resonant Brillouin Fiber Lasers,’ In: ‘Fiber Lasers’ edited by M. Paul, J. Kolkata, INTECH, (2016).
- M. Wuilpart, L. Thévenaz, “Chapter 8 : Rayleigh scattering in optical fibers and applications to distributed measurements”, In “Advanced Fiber Optics,” CRC Press, ISBN 978-1-4398-3517-3, 205 (2011).
- J Albert, LY Shao, C Caucheteur, “Tilted fiber Bragg grating sensors,” Laser & Photonics Reviews 7 (1), 83-108, 2013.
- C. Caucheteur, V. Malachovska, C. Ribaut, R. Wattiez, “Cell sensing with near-infrared plasmonic optical fiber sensors ,” Optics & Laser Technology 78, 116-121