The Photonics Reserach center at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University conducts academic research as well as industrial collaboration projects in various areas of Optics and photonics including long-haul and short reach communications, optical fiber sensor technologies, specialty optical fiber for new optical functionalities and biosensing and other novel optical devices
Website – http://www.polyu.edu.hk
Research Area 1 – Optical Communications
Contact person – Prof. Alex Wai, email@example.com
Research Area 2 – Optical fiber-based sensing
Contact person – Prof. Chao Lu, firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Area 3 – Advanced fibers and optical devices
Contact person – Prof. Hwa-Yaw Tam, email@example.com
Publications of interest
- P.K.A. Wai et al., “Polarization mode dispersion, decorrelation, and diffusion in optical fibers with randomly varying birefringence”, JOURNAL OF LIGHTWAVE TECHNOLOGY Vol. 14 no. 2 pp. 148-157 FEB 1996
- THT Chan et al., “Fiber Bragg grating sensors for structural health monitoring of Tsing Ma bridge: Background and experimental observation” Engineering Structures, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 648-659, Apr. 2006
- M.L.V. Tse et al., “Superlattice Microstructured Optical Fiber,” Materials 2014, 7(6) pp. 4567-4573
- E. Ip, A.P.T. Lau, D.J.F. Barros and J.M. Kahn, “Coherent Detection in Optical Fiber Systems,” OSA Optics Express, pp. 753-791, Jan. 2008.
- N. Bai et al., “Mode-division multiplexed transmission with inline few-mode fiber amplifier,” Optics Express, vol. 20, no.3, pp. 2668-2680, Jan. 2012.